Stroke victims can be young people

It may come as a surprise to you, but statistics from RedArc show that 60% of those that have suffered a stroke are of working age between 40 and 59.

The research also showed that a whole quarter of the 100,000 strokes in the UK each year happen to those of working age, and even younger. This is a key figure that tackles the assumption that stroke victims are normally older and no longer working. That’s why ensuring you have the right protection for yourself and your home is crucial.

So do I need cover if I am working?

We think it is very important to consider your cover options if you are working. This research from RedArc has especially highlighted the need for critical illness protection for those working full or part time. This could be very important if you have family and dependents that would be heavily impacted if you were no longer able to work due to ill health.

What cover do I need?

As stroke is one of the most common critical illnesses, and a large majority of insurance providers cover this as part of their critical illness policy. Critical illness is a crucial part of covering yourself against being diagnosed with one of the conditions covered by the insurer. Taking out cover when you are younger could also save you money on your premiums in the long term.

What happens if I am diagnosed?

Your insurer will pay you a lump sum, subject to certain requirements, if you are diagnosed with a specified critical illness, such as stroke, during the policy term. Many types of cover also provide support from medical staff and emotional and professional advice during recovery. This can be valuable to help you get back to work as soon as you are able.

Protection advice from House and Holiday Home Mortgages

If you want to discuss your protection needs or look at your existing cover, call us today on 01453 887179 or email us directly at, to arrange a meeting with one of our expert mortgage brokers.